Teacher Diversity Recruitment Program
About the Program
As our country’s population and our discreet and collective student bodies continue to diversify, it is important that the teaching staff reflect the same level of cultural diversity. It is imperative that OCTELA’s attention is drawn to the very present need to increase the number of highly qualified teachers of color in elementary, middle, and high schools throughout Ohio in English Language Arts and across all content areas.
Through the Teacher Diversity Recruitment Program, OCTELA is seeking to identify and recognize teachers of color, whose very presence, is making a difference in their school and enriching the lives of the student body, especially to students from diverse cultural/ethnic backgrounds.
Applying to the Program
Teachers who wish to apply for the diversity recruitment program will need to create a profile on the submission page. From the submitted profiles, twelve (12) teachers will be selected and receive the following:
- a complimentary 1-year OCTELA Membership
- a small stipend for the purchase of professional resources or to use toward the OCTELA Conference registration fee
- featured profile on the OCTELA website
Teacher Profile Requirements
Each teacher who wishes to create a profile for selection to the program will be required to create an online profile and submit a video testimonial. The video testimonial should be no longer than two minutes in length and meet the following requirements:
- Share why and/or how the teacher became a reading/English/ELA teacher
- Share the importance of his or her presence as a teacher of color in the school/district he or she currently teaches
- Discusses the importance of increasing the number of reading/English/ELA teachers of color throughout Ohio
- Explains why he or she joined (or would like to join) OCTELA, including a call to action for other teachers of color to join
To complete a Teacher Diversity Recruitment Program profile, please visit the submission page. (Note: this will take you to an external form on Google Drive.)